We pulled up to the house and both of us had the same feeling …is this terrible looking? We can’t tell, it’s so hard to be objective. The project has been a continuous difficult compromise of budget, time, and building wishes. It feels like a Frankenstein building as we tried to work around the existing structure. Our design ideas such as windows roof heights, materials etc. kept getting reduced and reduced.
It’s hard to keep an eye on the prize as our builder walked us through cuts and edits. We wanted to get the footprint down and interior working in the right flow to provide the space we needed for studio/work, guests, kids etc. That in mind, I think we did pretty well. We can’t help but wonder what we can do to make the exterior front flow more naturally into the environment and look a bit more balanced. I know, first we need to get moved in, settled and refinanced. At a build price of less than $100 per sq ft we must remember that this is house 1.0 and we couldn’t do it all right now.
However, if you’ve got a great idea for improving the front exterior, we’re all ears.